Orthodontics Toronto ON
Orthodontics is a subsidiary of dentistry concerned with straightening the teeth to improve their appearance. This specialty is devoted to building beautiful smiles by bringing teeth, lips, and jaws into proper alignment. Straight teeth function better, are easier to clean, and are more likely to last a lifetime.
Dealing with Crooked Tooth?
Because crowded and crooked teeth are difficult to clean and maintain, problems like tooth decay, gum disease and even tooth loss can occur. Other orthodontic problems include abnormal wear of tooth surfaces, inefficient chewing function, excessive stress on gum tissue and the bone that supports the teeth, and/or misalignment of the jaw joints. These, in turn, can lead to chronic headaches and face or neck pain.
For most people, a beautiful smile is the most obvious benefit of orthodontics. After your braces come off, you will feel more self-confident. Orthodontic treatment by your Toronto dentist, Dr. Jeremy Kurtz, can also be less costly than the additional care required for treating dental problems. This will, of course, depend on your individual case.
Braces for All Ages in Toronto
Orthodontic treatment can be successful at any age, and adults especially appreciate the benefits of a beautiful smile. One of every five patients in orthodontic treatment is over 21 years of age. Due to crooked teeth, adults may have experienced some breakdown or even a loss of teeth and the supporting bone structure. Thus, they may require periodontal care before, during and/or after orthodontic treatment. Bone loss can also limit the amount and direction of the necessary tooth movement.
Invisalign® Treatment Corrects Orthodontic Problems
Invisalign® works in a way that is similar to brackets and arch-wires, moving the teeth with invisible aligners to an appropriate place by applying a controlled force. However, Invisalign® differs from other teeth straightening devices in that not only does it control the amount of force that is placed on the teeth, but it also controls the timing of the force application. Only certain teeth are allowed to move at different stages of the Invisalign® procedure. The movements that Invisalign® creates have been determined by an effective orthodontic treatment plan.
Orthodontics can do much more than just straighten your teeth: It can help in the treatment of headaches and TMJ problems. Both of these are mainly caused by bite irregularities and severe tooth wear, causing many of the muscles of the head to overwork themselves. The consequence is the onset of headache symptoms. As the patient’s bite is reorganized into the right position, muscle strain is alleviated, thereby correcting the source of the headaches.
We usually recommend braces to improve:
- Overcrowded teethThis occurs when there is a lack of room within your jaw for all of your teeth to fit normally, leading to misalignment. If left untreated, crooked teeth can cause tooth decay and an increased chance of gum disease, and can prevent the normal function of your mouth.
- Widely spaced teethThis occurs with excessive growth of your jaw bone. When teeth are missing, wide spaces can also be created by the shifting of the other remaining teeth. Spacing issues in your mouth can cause periodontal disease.
- Cross-biteThis occurs when your upper and lower jaws are both misaligned. It causes one or more upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth, which can happen on both the front and/or the sides of the mouth. This issue can cause wear of the teeth, gum disease, and bone loss.
- OverbiteWhat people commonly refer to as an “overbite” is known to dental professionals as “overjet.” It occurs when your upper teeth bite over the lower teeth, and it is typically caused by either genetics, bad oral habits, or overdevelopment of the bone that supports the teeth. This issue can lead to gum problems or irritation, wear on the lower teeth, and painful jaw joint problems.
- Under-biteThis occurs when your lower teeth protrude past the upper teeth. It is usually caused by an undergrowth of the upper jaw, overgrowth of the lower jaw, or both. It can also be caused by missing upper teeth. This issue can prevent the normal function of your front teeth or molars, which can lead to tooth wear and painful jaw joint problems.
Dr. Kurtz will work with you to create a custom program that will treat your specific orthodontic issues. Your treatment program will consist of a full set of aligners – made for you and only you!
If you live in the Toronto, ON, area and are considering braces, please contact us today to schedule an appointment.